Guide to SASO Certificate of Conformity
What is a SASO Certificate of Conformity?
A SASO Certificate of Conformity is a document used to clear shipments at Saudi Arabia customs. This certificate confirms that the goods being shipped comply with the relevant safety and quality regulations set by the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO).
Who should apply for the SASO Certificate of Conformity?
The Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) states that it should be the exporter that applies for the SASO Certificate of Conformity.
What is the validity of a SASO Certificate of Conformity?
Each SASO Certificate of Conformity is valid for a single consignment of goods and cannot be used for any other consignment.
Who can issue a SASO Certificate of Conformity?
The SASO Certificate of Conformity can only be issued by a ‘Certified Body’ (CB). These are companies that are approved by SASO to issue Certificates of Conformity as part of their programme.
Which products require a SASO Certificate of Conformity?
A SASO Certificate of Conformity is required for all commodities, apart from the below specified categories:
A) Foods and agricultural products.
B) Medicines, Medical devices and equipment.
C) Crude oil.
D) Military goods.
What are High Risk Items?
SASO has specified a list of products that are deemed ‘High Risk’ and therefore subject to tighter regulations.
Only test reports issued by an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory can be accepted to prove the conformity of the below product types:
- Power plugs, power sockets and adapters
- Extension cords
- Mobile charging devices
- Hair dryers
- Automobile spare parts (filters, tires, cooler, batteries, brake linings)
- Water heaters
- Heater blower and radiant heaters
- Car tires
Which products are banned from entry into Saudi Arabia?
There is a list of products that are strictly prohibited from importation into Saudi Arabia.
These are shown below:
- Swine and its meat, fat, hair, blood and offal, and all that is extracted from it.
- Dogs; except dogs for hunting, guarding or for guiding the blind with certificates from the competent authorities in the exporting country authenticated by the Saudi embassy indicating that the dog to be entered is a dog for guarding, hunting or for guiding the blind. In addition, it shall be presented to the veterinary quarantine.
- Frog meat.
- Narcotic drugs of all kinds, forms and names in addition to the snuff, tumbak and cola nut (Cola acuminata) “Goro”.
- All foodstuffs made of animal blood.
- Wines and intoxicants of all kinds including what contains alcoholic substances at any intoxicating ratio, as well as wine distillation appliances and materials which are not used except in its distillation.
- The Holy Quran in commercial quantities.
- Blank invoices addressed in the name of foreign companies abroad.
- Advertising materials for cigarettes of all kinds.
- The cross or any commodity with pictures, inscriptions, drawings, recitations or phrases including books, prospectuses and other publications, films and tapes which are contrary to the Islamic faith and morals or the publications regulation.
- Empty packings coming from abroad for the purpose of their refilling domestically with origin indication affixed on them.
- Dummies which are not in compliance with the Sharia provisions and general morals and imported for sale in commercial quantities.
- Tools, machines and devices for gambling of all kinds.
- Used and retreaded tires.
- Christmas trees.
- Weapons and military equipment of all kinds and parts and ammunitions thereof exclusive of those for competent government sectors.
- Night vision binoculars, binocular night vision cameras and telescopic sights for fitting to arms.
- Explosive and radioactive substances, firecrackers, gunpowder salt of all kinds and potassium chlorates except with an official permit.
- Fireworks of all kinds.
- Medicaments not bearing a label or accompanied by a leaflet showing their composition and quantity of each component according to the regulation for practicing the profession of pharmacology and trade in medicines and medical preparations.
- Goods on which drawn the government emblem in the form of two crossed swords with a palm tree with long stem and leaves in the space above and between the blades properly represented.
- Nutmeg fruit; seeds and powder thereof. Permission to import it is confined to its powder mixed with other spices within the limits of permissible ratio which does not exceed 20%.
- Bonds and coupons for sacrificial animals (Adahiy and Hady), ransom (Fidyah) and charity (Sadaqah).
- Cameras which strip the body of dresses in a naked form.
- Massage devices presented in a manner violating morals.
- Small cars and motorcycles for children which their height from their wheel axis does not exceed 50 cm, and equipped with petrol, gas or any combustible substance-powered engine as well as battery-powered if its speed exceeds 10 km/hour.
- Unlocking devices used in opening doors and cars.
- Annoying horns.
- Disguise masks.
- Empty bags imported separately bearing marks or data about foodstuffs or cement or their companies’ trademarks. What is imported for domestic companies is excluded.
- Transparent women’s cloaks even if is for personal use.
- Special forms of knives designed for aggressive purposes such as being with two blades or with handle.
- Entertainment devices which contain hysterical laughter.
- Sodium carbonates (soda ash).
- Pens in syringe form.
- Goods bearing flags of foreign countries in a big prominent form.
- Preparations which cause irritation to the organs of the body.
- Specimen of Prophet Mohammed’s (peace be upon him) stamp.
- Goods bearing names and pictures of celebrities.
- Wild animal hides.
- Wireless video transmitters (video booster).
- Suitcases containing radio, cassette recorder and alarm devices.
- Greeting cards containing a small musical device that runs automatically upon moving the card.
- Vehicle antennas similar to antennas of policemen’ cars and wireless televisions.
- Counterfeit money.
- Potassium bromate which is used as a maturing agent in baking bread.
- Vehicles with two exhaust pipes, 450 Horse Power and ordinary transmission.
- Devices fixed behind the driver to alert him in case he sleeps.
- Eagle emblem.
- Devices which change the voice.
- Laser spectacles with perforations.
- Illuminated footwear in which mercury is used.
- Games in the form of human hand which some drivers display prominently in their vehicles.
- Electronic mihrab.
- Kaaba Musharafa model.
- Six-pointed star.
- Old newspapers.
- Vehicles with steering wheel on the right side.
- Antique guns.
- Laser pens.
(list taken from https://www.customs.gov.sa/sites/sc/en/CustomsGuideNew/SubHQweb02)
SASO Certificate of Conformity – Additional Requirements
- Shipments of refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, washing machines, electric motors and lighting products must comply with Energy Efficient Labelling regulations.
- Selected shipment of faucets, showers and toilets must be labelled with the SASO Water Efficiency Label.
- Selected shipments of degradable plastic products must carry the OXO-Biodegradable Mark
- Selected electrical products must now have a Recognition Certificate alongside the usual Certificate of Conformity to be granted entry at KSA Ports and Borders.
No need for guess work. Our expert SASO Account Managers are on hand to provide regulatory clarification and arrange your shipment’s SASO CoC issuance, fast.
Connect with us on Live Chat >>
Stay informed – SASO CoC Shipment Compliance
To understand more, ensure you stay up to date with the SASO Certificate of Conformity and are notified of changes as they happen register your details with our SASO Account Team via [email protected] or +44 01245 249002.
Alternatively, simply click on our live chat button to talk to an expert today.
About XDS Solutions:
Every step of your export document journey managed by us. No more complex forms, no more frustrating processes, just a team of expert advisors who’ll move mountains to meet your export certification deadline.
We’re proud members of Institute of Export & International Trade – the UK’s only professional body representing international trade.